John T. Prisbe represents companies and institutions in commercial and civil disputes, including those involving contracts, financial services, business opportunities, corporate and business entity governance, construction and project development, insurance coverage, and consumer practices.
John has tried numerous district- and appellate-level cases in U.S. federal and state courts, and has represented clients in administrative and arbitration proceedings. He has a comprehensive knowledge of litigation issues, which he leverages to represent clients in the banking, lending, financial services, corporate, insurance, construction, and utilities sectors.
- Represented the licensor of a trademark in disputes over whether the sale of a restaurant business with licensing arrangements constituted the sale of a franchise or business opportunity under Maryland law
- Represented the manufacturer of peening equipment and shot equipment in prospective contractual negotiations with its distributors or dealers, and in disputes with its distributors or dealers
- Obtained an early seven-figure settlement in favor of a client in a breach of contract and business opportunity dispute, and related federal court litigation. After initial filing of federal court action, employed early mediation and voluntary exchanges to achieve resolution in favor of client, prior to the start of litigation
- Helped an insurance client obtain dismissals from both original and amended complaints in federal class action litigation involving RICO, RESPA, and consumer protection claims, and flowing from what plaintiffs’ counsel described to the media as the largest mortgage rescue fraud scheme in mid-Atlantic history
- Obtained voluntary dismissal of multi-million-dollar claims asserted against an insurer as a result of alleged commercial development losses and alleged real estate title defects
- Obtained dismissal in multiple putative class actions where plaintiffs alleged violation of Maryland secondary mortgage loan laws and common law claims based upon charges made at closings.
- J.D. cum laude University of Baltimore School of Law 1987
- B.S. University of Maryland 1982
Bar Admissions : Maryland, California
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
Clerk Experience : Honorable John F. McAuliffe Court of Appeals of Maryland 1987 -1988
Rate : $$$$