John Gibson practices in the area of intellectual property litigation and high-stakes commercial litigation. Mr. Gibson represents leading high-technology clients in a diverse range of patent litigation matters involving nearly all aspects of telecommunications—including fiber optics, wireless LAN systems, cellular telephony, VoIP telephony, webmail, cable and set-top boxes, and wireless chipsets, among others—and other technology fields.
Mr. Gibson also regularly litigates on behalf of clients in a diverse range of complex commercial and media matters, including cases involving trade secrets, restrictive covenants, fraud, breach of contract, and defamation.
Before entering private practice, Mr. Gibson served as a judicial clerk to the Honorable Leonie M. Brinkema of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia (Alexandria Division).
- Represents global cybersecurity leader in patent infringement matter.
- Represents multinational networking and telecommunications company in patent infringement matters.
- Court-appointed liaison counsel on behalf of dozens of defendants in multi-district patent litigation regarding messaging systems, which resulted in summary affirmance by the Federal Circuit of non-infringement and an award of attorneys’ fees.
- Successfully represented storage company in several matters brought by NPEs, resulting in dismissal with no payment.
- Successfully represented optical networking companies in patent litigation matter related to optical networking terminals.
- Represents international fashion brand in trademark infringement and unfair competition cases.
- Represented a major cable operator in patent litigation brought by a competitor involving VoIP telephony, which resulted in a favorable jury decision of invalidity and non-infringement.
- The University of Alabama School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2006
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A., 2003
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
- Duane Morris LLP, – Partner, 2018-present
- Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP, – Associate, 2007-2011
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, – Judicial Clerk to the Hon. Leonie M. Brinkema, 2006-2007
Rate : $$$$