John Rousakis is an experienced environmental lawyer who represents private equity, financial, commercial and industrial clients in transactions, litigation, and regulatory compliance matters. He represents clients on acquisitions and divestitures of chemical, metals and mining, oil and gas, and other industrial businesses, and in federal and state Superfund litigation.
He also provides strategic and regulatory counseling on wide range of environmental, health and safety matters.
John has a broad knowledge of environmental law and its impact on businesses and the overall community. Prior to re-joining O’Melveny in 2015, he was the general counsel at the New York City Department of Environmental Protection, 5,900+ person agency responsible for supplying New York City’s drinking water, treating wastewater at 14 major facilities, regulating air quality, noise, and hazardous substances, and advancing key sustainability initiatives.
During his time at the Department of Environmental Protection, John led the Bureau of Legal Affairs and advised the Commissioner and management on a full range of legal issues affecting the agency, including environmental compliance and enforcement, contracts, litigation, real estate, and employment.
He negotiated consent agreements with state and federal regulators, and played a key role in representing the City’s interests in relation to the Gowanus Canal and Newtown Creek Superfund Sites.
John has been recognized as a leading US environmental lawyer by Chambers USA.
- Transactional Matters:
- LaGuardia Gateway Partners in its winning bid for the redevelopment and long-term operation of the Central Terminal Building at New York LaGuardia Airport
- Apollo Global Management in its acquisition of Sun Country Airlines
- Microsemi Corporation in its acquisition of Vectron International
- TTM Technologies in its acquisition of Anaren Inc.
- Apollo Global Management in its acquisition of Parallel Petroleum
- Apollo Global Management in its $1.15 billion acquisition of Xstrata Aluminum
- Apollo Global Management in its $3.8 billion acquisition of the Advanced Materials division of General Electric Co.
- Apollo Global Management in its $1.185 billion acquisition of Rexnord and $1.25 billion acquisition of Jacuzzi Brands, Inc.
- Hexion Specialty Chemicals in its acquisition of Bakelite AG and divisions of Akzo Nobel and Rhodia
- Palladium Equity Partners in its acquisition of American Gilsonite Co.
- Litigation Matters:
- American Airlines: Defense of State enforcement proceeding related to remediation portion of redevelopment of JFK Terminals 8 and 9, and representation in related contribution action for recovery of remediation costs
- Combe Fill South Landfill NPL Site (Chester Township, NJ): Common counsel for 14 defendants in $200 million cost recovery action by USEPA and the State of New Jersey
- Gulf Nuclear Sites (Webster, Texas): Defense of industrial entity in cleanup cost recovery action brought by USEPA and State of Texas
- New Jersey
- New York
- New York University, J.D.; Editor-in-Chief, NYU Environmental Law Journal
- Princeton University, B.S.E., Civil Engineering: magna cum laude
- New York City Bar, Committee on Environmental Law (2016-present)
Rate : $$$