John Shepherd specializes in resolving disputes for oil and gas and mining clients. He handles litigation in virtually all aspects of the energy industry, including disputes over royalty payments, operating agreements, property acquisitions, gas measurement, gas balancing, indemnity claims, and challenges to permits to conduct operations on public lands.
He also represents clients in administrative appeals before the U.S. Department of the Interior, the U.S. Forest Service, and the EPA, including challenges to penalties imposed by the Office of Natural Resources Revenue and the EPA.
John has substantial experience in arbitrations involving oil and gas issues. He has represented clients in arbitrations, testified as an expert witness, and served as an arbitrator.
In addition to litigation and arbitration, John counsels clients on a broad array of issues affecting resource development, including compliance with royalty obligations and laws governing approval of operations on federal and Indian lands.
John served on the firm’s Management Committee from 2013-2015 and previously served as Chair of the firm’s Natural Resource Department.
- University of Denver College of Law, J.D., 1979
- Dartmouth College, A.B., 1976
- District of Columbia
Professional and Civic Affiliations:
- Co-chair of public lands program for the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation’s Annual Institute (2009)
- Executive Board, Institute for Energy Law (2006-2011)
- Natural Resources Distinguished Practitioner-in-Residence, University of Denver College of Law (1998)
- Trustee, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation (1993-1995)
Rate : $$$$