John Siegal is an accomplished trial and appellate lawyer in federal and state courts in New York and across the nation. He advises, litigates and arbitrates primarily for financial services, media and real estate industry clients in private business disputes and matters involving public agencies and controversies.
John has a 30-year track record of successful results for clients that includes extensive experience in the areas of fiduciary duties, business divorces, partnership disputes, contracts, financial fraud, trade secrets and noncompetes, government contracts and investigations, Article 78 proceedings, real estate development and property management disputes, defamation, privacy and reporter’s privilege, civil rights, class actions and other business disputes.
- Successfully tried and resolved many business divorces and valuation disputes in private equity and closely held corporation cases.
- Persuaded the United States Court of Appeals for the Circuit to reinstate a developer’s case against its lender due to the bank’s participation in setting fraudulent LIBOR interest rates.
- Handles noncompete, trade secret and employee raiding cases, and Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) arbitrations for investment banks, professional services companies and other clients.
- Won dismissal of a claim for the owner of the largest single privately owned apartment building in Manhattan that would have subjected the building to permanent below-market rents based on a decades-old ground lease. The dismissal was affirmed by the Appellate Division, First Department, and the Court of Appeals denied leave to appeal.
- Served as lead counsel in the outdoor advertising industry’s successful challenge to New York City’s attempt to apply its land use regulations to locations on state-owned railroad rights of way.
- Has litigated dozens of noncompete and trade secret injunction cases in federal and state courts across the country for businesses in nearly every industry.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict in a race discrimination jury trial in the Eastern District of New York.
- Represented 123 NYPD sergeants who passed the lieutenant’s exam in successfully opposing an Article 78 due process petition seeking to enjoin their promotions due to allegations of test improprieties by others.
- New York City Civilian Complaint Review Board
- Appointed a Board Member by Mayor Bill de Blasio
- Center for an Urban Future: Board of Directors
- J.D., New York University School of Law, 1987
- B.A., Columbia University, Columbia College, 1981
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
Rate : $$$