John L. Slafsky is a partner at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, where he specializes in trademark, copyright, and advertising law. John offers strategic advice to clients concerning advertising and promotions and also handles disputes in and out of court.
Among John’s counseling activities are: advising clients regarding marketing campaigns; the selection, registration, and enforcement of trademarks in the United States and worldwide; copyright clearance; the handling of Internet domain name disputes; the transfer and licensing of intellectual property; and consumer protection issues.
He has litigated cases in federal and state courts relating to trademarks, copyright, unfair competition, right of publicity/privacy, domain names, defamation, and consumer protection.
John has been recognized as a leader in his field by various publications. World Trademark Review rates him as “Gold Band” and has described him as “highly strategic…with extensive expertise in technology and Internet issues” and as “a crisp and practical lawyer who gets to the heart of the matter without bluster.” John is a contributing editor of The Intellectual Property Strategist.
John is a recipient of the firm’s highest award for pro bono legal service, the John Wilson Award.
- J.D., New York University School of Law, 1993
- A.B., Politics, Princeton University, 1987
ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS:
- Chair, New Emerging Issues Subcommittee, International Trademark Association
- Past Chair, Domain Name System Subcommittee, International Trademark Association
- Past Chair, Loss of Rights Subcommittee, International Trademark Association
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of New York
- Several U.S. District Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Rate : $$$