John R. Stierhoff is a state and local government affairs and political law attorney who represents the interests of businesses, healthcare entities, numerous trade associations, and nonprofit organizations before officials in the executive and legislative branches of Maryland government, as well as county and municipal governments and agencies in the state.
John’s experience and reputation before state and local legislative bodies are augmented by the depth of experience of the Venable team of state and local government lawyers capable of representing clients before a broad range of state and local elected officials and agencies.
John is well known for the creative and thoughtful approach he has honed through decades of experience,, serving as counsel for both public and private sector clients, and for his hard work as a steadfast advocate for his clients.
John has consistently ranked among the most prominent lobbyists in Annapolis. His strategic advice and counsel, as well as his political insight, have established his reputation as a complex problem solver.
Prior to entering the private sector, John served as counsel in the Maryland State House for 12 years. Between 1986 and 1994, he served as chief of staff and counsel to State Senate President Thomas V. Mike Miller, Jr. and participated in the passage of critical statewide legislation regarding tort, higher education, healthcare, and election law reform.
He began his government service career in 1982, and in 1983 was appointed as counsel to the Senate of Maryland’s Judicial Proceedings Committee. He also served as director of government relations for the Medical and Chirurgical Faculty of the State of Maryland, the State Medical Society.
From 1994 through 2000, John was partner in the law firm of Evans & Stierhoff, and in 2000 he joined Funk & Bolton, a Baltimore-based firm.
- Chief of Staff and Counsel, The Senate of Maryland, Office of Senator Thomas V. “Mike” Miller, Jr.
- Counsel, The Senate of Maryland, Judicial Proceedings Committee
- Representation of clients on legislative and regulatory matters, and state and local procurement matters
- Successfully secured significant operating and capital budget appropriations for organizations at both the state and local level.
- J.D. University of Baltimore School of Law 1981
- B.A. Loyola College 1977
Bar Admissions : Maryland
- John represents a wide range of clients pro bono :
- Baltimore Child Abuse Center
- Maryland Family Network
- Maryland Food Bank
- Young Audiences of Maryland
Rate : $$$