John C. Stump concentrates his practice in the areas of municipal bonds, project finance, economic development and utility regulation. Mr. Stump’s experience includes significant involvement in tax-exempt and taxable bond issues of all types, a variety of economic development projects, and providing legal representation to utilities, financial institutions, and municipal and other public bodies.
Mr. Stump has extensive experience as bond counsel, underwriter’s counsel, and issuer’s counsel for tax-exempt and taxable bond issues for public works of state agencies, counties, municipalities, and public service districts, as well as conduit financings for 501(c)(3) corporations, private educational institutions, and industrial development projects.
Mr. Stump has represented a number of companies, ranging from Fortune 500 international conglomerates to privately held start-ups, in the negotiation and identification of state economic development incentive packages.
Mr. Stump regularly represents utilities before regulatory agencies. His experience includes testifying as an expert witness before regulatory agencies on project financing issues.
- Assisted in the development of tax strategies for hospitality and related clients
- Served as bond counsel for a tax increment financing private placement bond issue to finance public infrastructure costs associated with an 800 unit high-end residential and commercial community
- Represented a start-up public utility in the acquisition of a 2,000 customer private utility serving a resort community
- Represented a fiber optic cable not-for-profit utility to provide ultra-high speed broadband access to over 50,000 customers
- Served as bond counsel for the issuance of the first water revenue bonds secured solely by capacity improvement fees in the State of West Virginia
- Represented a market leading international investment bank in the refinancing of over $200 million dollars of pollution control and solid waste disposal bonds
- Represented investment bankers in the purchase of bonds secured by sales tax revenues
- Represented a municipal utility in the sale of a combined public waterworks and sewage system to a private utility; work included sale term negotiation, documentation, public hearings, election process, and closing
- J.D. Washington & Lee
- B.A. West Virginia University
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- TerraLex Strategic Planning Committee
- Board of Directors, Mid-Atlantic Technology Research and Innovation Center
- Vice President, Huntington Area Development Council
Rate : $$$