John H. Thompson’s practice focuses on complex Chapter 11 cases and debtor and creditor rights. He handles business reorganizations and cross-border insolvency matters, and has extensive experience representing debtors, creditors, acquirers, landlords and equity holders, both in and out of court, across a broad range of industries.
Over the course of his career, John served as a key team member in the representation of numerous high-profile Chapter 11 debtors, including Enron, Worldcom, Northwest and LyondellBasell. In addition, he represents a number of creditors in the Lehman bankruptcies, and regularly advises financial institutions on trading contract and derivatives issues.
Dedicated to giving back to his community, John frequently volunteers and handles pro bono matters. For example, he recently served as counsel of record in the restructuring of a nonprofit school for emotionally disturbed adolescents.
In 2007, John represented African-American police officers in their employment discrimination litigation against the city of Baltimore and the Baltimore Police Department.
Before earning his law degree, John served as a captain and helicopter pilot in the United States Army. During his service, John commanded a company of 275 soldiers stationed at Fort Eustis, Virginia, and led an air cavalry platoon of the 24th Infantry Division based in Fort Stewart, Georgia.
- Representation of LyondellBasell Inc. as Chapter 11 debtor (S.D.N.Y)
- Representation of Amsterdam House Continuing Care Retirement Community Inc. as Chapter 11 debtor (E.D.N.Y)
- Representation of several derivative counterparties and general unsecured creditors to Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. and its affiliated debtors (S.D.N.Y.)
- Representation of Northwest Airlines as Chapter 11 debtor (S.D.N.Y.)
- Representation of Gate Gourmet as creditor in American Airlines Chapter 11.
- American University, MA, 2001
- American University Washington College of Law, JD, cum laude, 2001
- Bucknell University, BA, 1991
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
Rate : $$$