John R.R. Tormey’s practice focuses on energy and renewable energy project development. John is a partner in the Washington, DC office. His practice focuses on domestic and international project finance and development, and includes asset, stock and portfolio acquisitions and divestitures.
He has extensive experience representing clients in all aspects of the development, acquisition and financing of various types of energy-related assets, including electric-generating facilities, gas pipelines, LNG facilities, transmission lines and compression facilities.
He has represented clients in transactions involving various complex financing structures, including syndicated commercial bank debt, export credit agency and other government-guaranteed financing and risk insurance programs, and multilateral lending agency programs.
Prior to joining the firm, he served as senior counsel at Constellation Energy Group, Inc. where he served at various times as primary legal advisor for the development and acquisition of nuclear, geothermal, wind, and conventional fuel electric-generating projects and the finance, commercial, corporate and regulatory compliance matters for the company’s non-nuclear generation fleet.
- Represented InterGen in financing of gas-fired generator and compression station in Mexico.
- Served as lead counsel in connection with the development, construction and financing of the Calvert Cliffs 3 Nuclear Power Plant, including financing under the US Department of Energy’s loan guarantee program under Title XVII and by the French export credit agency.
- Represented Constellation in sale of the 2,600 MW Baltimore coal fleet in connection with CEG-Exelon merger.
- Represented the seller in sale of a portfolio of qualifying cogen and small power production facilities.
- Represented a developer of an 80 MW gas fired peaker in Alberta, Canada.
- Represented the acquirer of early-stage development wind project and later development thereof.
- Represented the developer of a 700 MW combined cycle power plant.
- Represented the acquirer in acquisition of geothermal power plants.
- Represented an international commercial bank in a financing for the construction of an offshore/onshore natural gas pipeline in Israel.
- Represented AES and project subsidiaries in connection with the development and financing of greenfield LNG receiving terminal and regasification facility, pipeline and combined cycle power plant in the Dominican Republic.
- JD, George Washington University Law School, with honors, Editor, George Washington International Law Journal, 1996
- BS, Biology, Westmont College, with honors, 1990
- District of Columbia
Rate : $$$$