John M. Touhy has litigated commercial and business disputes for more than 35 years. He has represented clients in 40 jury and bench trials, and evidentiary hearings in federal and state courts, and in arbitrations throughout the country. He has represented clients in preliminary injunction and temporary restraining order hearings.
John has experience across a range of business disputes, including breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, noncompete agreements, defamation, misappropriation of trade secrets, ownership of intellectual property, Lanham Act claims, ownership and value of closely held corporations, Uniform Commercial Code controversies, lender liability, and class actions. He has also represented professionals before licensing boards.
- People of State of Illinois v. Aaron Thurman, Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois, Criminal Division (pro bono). Represented the defendant in a first degree murder trial. Jury found defendant not guilty.
- The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company v. Tire Grading Co., U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois. Represented the plaintiff in a jury trial against one of its tire dealers for fraud and breach of contract. Verdict in favor of the plaintiff.
- Arbitration, American Arbitration Association, Chicago, Illinois. Represented a manufacturer in a breach of contract against a buyer for the sale of coke and other claims. Award granted on some claims, denied on others.
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation v. John Doe, M.D., Illinois Department of Regulation. Represented the defendant/doctor in an administrative hearing in which the IDPR was seeking to revoke the doctor’s medical license on grounds of unprofessional conduct. The client was found not guilty.
- Unilever Corporation. Defended Unilever Corporation in class action brought by purported class of buyers of consumer products. Plaintiff class alleged Unilever’s advertisements were in violation of state deceptive trade practices act and were fraudulent in violation of state common law.
- J.D., New York University School of Law, 1980
- A.B., University of Chicago, 1977, Honors, Special Honors
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar, 1983
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2001
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, 1984
Rate : $$$