John Mashni is an active member of the Startup Entrepreneurial Emerging Development (S.E.E.D.) Practice Group with a strong focus in tax law, entertainment law, non-profit corporate law, intellectual property law, technology law, school law services and employee benefits.
He empowers businesses owners to follow their passions by helping them to seize business opportunities and navigate legal challenges. As a former entrepreneur, business owner and manager, John has a deep understanding of the businesses he represents as well as the knowledge and savvy of a seasoned attorney. He helps clients do deals, protect assets and plan for the future through his practice.
Through his experience in the business world, John understands, appreciates and delivers the level of service that his clients expect. The principles that guide his work include:
- Be a “Finisher.” John despises loose ends and open loops, and always strives to deliver results in the most timely and cost-effective manner possible.
- Always Look Forward. A good attorney focuses on the issue before him and on those coming three, five or ten years down the road. Just as his clients create forward looking business plans, John provides proactive counsel to help his clients successfully navigate legal issues in the future.
- Never Stop Learning. John is a passionate student across many industries and is always thinking about the legal implications of new and emerging industry patterns and trends.
- Work Hard. Have Fun. John loves working with creative individuals who have a vision to share and a story to tell. While most of his clients don’t particularly enjoy dealing with the legal aspects of their industry, John works hard to make the process as painless as possible, sometimes even managing to inject a bit of fun into it.
- Protect. The intellectual property (IP) of businesses is unfortunately under constant threat of misappropriation and misuse. John vigilantly protects his clients’ most important assets. A helpful, easy to understand guide to common IP issues that John co-authored is available here.
Prior to earning his law degree, John worked as the manager of a media department for a large leadership development company. There he supervised and coordinated audio, video, web, and print projects for tens of thousands of customers. John also ensured all marketing materials complied with FTC guidelines and federal law.
In addition to managing the department, John performed freelance work on numerous film and video projects and he worked as a director, director of photography, audio engineer as well as visual effects artist. John also completed coursework at the New York Film Academy.
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School, J.D., 2012
- Michigan State University, B.A., 2004, summa cum laude, English
- New York Film Academy, 2000
Bar and Court Admissions:
Rate : $$$