John Watson chairs the Firm’s North American Environmental Practice Group and leads the coordinated Global Environmental Practice, consistently recognized as the largest environmental practice of any law firm in the world. Mr. Watson has been advising industrial enterprises on managing environmental risks and liabilities arising out of their domestic and international operations for over 25 years.
Mr. Watson’s practice focuses on providing counsel to US and multinational companies to address the environmental challenges associated with their industrial and manufacturing operations. His work ranges from strategic advice on the development and implementation of global corporate environmental compliance programs and sustainability initiatives to recurring counsel on day-to-day compliance issues at individual operating facilities.
Mr. Watson actively defends industrial concerns in federal and state enforcement cases and government and private cleanup and cost recovery actions across the United States. He also works with companies on the assessment and proactive management of environmental risks arising in corporate transactions and the purchase and sale of industrial real estate portfolios and individual assets.
- Chicago-Kent College of Law (IIT) (J.D. Joyce Foundation Environmental Law Scholar) (1988)
- St. Olaf College (B.A.) (1985)
Admissions : Illinois~United States (1988)
Professional Associations and Memberships : American Bar Association – Section of Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental
Representative Legal Matters:
- Strategic counsel on the scope, substance and implementation of global environmental compliance programs, comprehensive corporate audit initiatives and the development and implementation of environmental sustainability policies.
- Day-to-day advice and counsel on environmental compliance issues at foreign and domestic manufacturing facilities, including matters involving air emissions, water discharges, the management and disposal of waste, worker health and safety concerns, and the content and permitted use of toxic substances in products.
- Defense and prosecution of citizen suit and private cost recovery and contribution claims involving soil and groundwater contamination arising out of historical industrial operations and waste management and disposal activities.
- The implementation and defense of National Environmental Policy Act Environmental Assessments and Environmental Impact Statements involving mining, port and infrastructure development projects.
Rate : $$$