John Woods serves as co-head of the Global Cybersecurity practice group and is a partner based in Washington, DC. Over the past decade he has received recognition or ranking in the Legal 500, Chambers Global and USA Guides, Washingtonian Magazine, Corporate Counsel Magazine and BTI Consulting Group.
Over the past fifteen years Mr. Woods has led the investigative and legal response to some of the largest and most complex cybersecurity incidents and compliance challenges. This has included overseeing the investigation into network intrusions, representing clients in post-incident disputes, and coordinating response activities with law enforcement and other government agencies.
He has a particular focus advising on the legal and compliance issues associated with pre-incident cyber resilience projects, data integrity attacks, and operationally impactful malware incidents.
- University of Virginia School of Law (J.D.) (1995)
- Colby College (B.A. Government) (1990)
- District of Columbia~United States (1998)
- Virginia~United States (1996)
- New Hampshire~United States (1995)
Representative Legal Matters:
- Lead legal advisor to Fortune 20 company on the governance, compliance and legal issues associated with board of directors mandated cyber resilience project.
- Led the strategic global legal response and investigation for Fortune 500 consumer goods organization victimized by NotPetya malware incident. Announced financial impact on client exceeded USD 125 million.
- Served as lead counsel in litigation filed against the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regarding investigation into client data breach. Matter resolved after litigation commenced through the FTC issuing a no action letter.
- Serve as board counsel to an insurance holding company regulated by the Federal Reserve Board with regard to cybersecurity related legal matters.
- Acted as special counsel to major retailer and led investigation into network intrusion in which over 45 million credit cards were compromised.
Rate : $$$