John M. Williamson leads the firm’s IP specialties practice group. He serves as lead litigation counsel on complex disputes spanning a wide range of technical subject matter areas, including telecommunications, software, consumer electronics, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices.
John focuses on intellectual property litigation and counseling, with particular emphasis on patent infringement and trade secret misappropriation actions before U.S. district courts, arbitration panels, the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC), and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
His practice includes providing client counseling and advice related to technology and IP strategy. He conducts internal investigations regarding trade secrets, advises on technical standards, and performs economic exposure and freedom-to-operate analyses, as well as IP portfolio and landscape analyses.
John also consults on licensing programs and conducts royalty audits related to IP license agreements. John is an active member of the D.C.-area IP legal community. He is president-elect of the Pauline Newman IP Inn of Court in Alexandria, Virginia, and a former chair of the D.C. Bar Trade Secrets Committee.
For eight years he served as an adjunct professor at the George Mason University Antonin Scalia Law School, teaching a semester-long course on patent infringement litigation. He served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Liam O’Grady at the U.S. District Court for the E.D. Virginia. John has been recognized by The Legal 500 U.S. for trade secrets work.
- University of Colorado M.S., Telecommunications, 2003
- University of Colorado School of Law J.D., 2000
- University of Colorado B.A., Economics, 1997
- U.S. District Court, E.D. Virginia
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Professional Activities :
- Pauline Newman IP American Inn of Court (president, 2017-2018; board member, 2013-present)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO) (vice chair, Trade Secrets Committee, 2019-present)
- District of Columbia Bar (vice-chair and chair of Trade Secrets Committee, Intellectual Property Section, 2000-2006)
- American Bar Association, IP Section
Rate : $$$