John Woo’s practice focuses on litigation and trial, with an emphasis in patent and intellectual property. Mr. Woo has successfully litigated complex cases for a wide range of clients involving various technologies, including graphics and image processing, digital signal processing, integrated circuits, liquid-crystal-displays, digital data compression, memory management, semiconductor, interactive television systems, and digital subscriber line.
Mr. Woo has also successfully litigated complex cases relating to consumer fraud allegations and licensing disputes. In addition to litigating in state and federal courts, he has represented clients in Section 337 investigations before the U.S. International Trade Commission (“ITC”) and in Inter Partes Review (“IPR”) proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (“PTAB”). His trial experience includes both jury and bench trials, as well as related post-trial motions and appeals to the Federal Circuit.
Mr. Woo earned his B.S. in Electrical Engineering with Computer Engineering option, and worked as a systems and software engineer at Raytheon Company before law school. He has also been selected to the Southern California Rising Star list for Intellectual Property and Intellectual Property Litigation by Super Lawyers and Los Angeles Magazine for three consecutive years.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 2011
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.S., 2005
Bar Admissions :
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Representative Matters :
- Representing a major pharmaceutical company in consumer fraud action brought by several state Attorneys General, arising out of the sale and marketing of the company’s mesh implant products.
- Representing an international government defense contractor in a licensing dispute relating to de-icing technology (C.D. Cal.).
- Represented Huawei, an international consumer electronics company, in an IPR proceeding involving universal serial bus technology (PTAB).
- Represented Texas Instruments, a national electronics company, in a patent infringement action and an IPR proceeding involving memory management and processing technology. Successfully litigated the case, allowing the client to obtain a favorable settlement (E.D. Tex.; PTAB).
- Represented a client in patent infringement cases against various entities involving communications security technology. Successfully litigated the cases, allowing the client to obtain favorable settlements (E.D. Tex.).
- Represented Samsung, an international consumer electronics company, in a patent infringement action involving graphics processing technology. Successfully litigated the case, allowing the client to obtain a favorable settlement (E.D. Tex.).
- Represented Samsung, an international consumer electronics company, in a patent infringement action involving image capturing technology. Successfully received dismissal of case in favor of the client (E.D. Tex.).
Pro Bono :
- Representing clients in an action involving voting rights and gerrymandering allegations.
- Represented a client in a foster care funding action. Successfully received proper foster care funding for the client through a hearing.
- Represented subsidized housing tenants in unlawful detainer actions. Successfully received dismissal of cases in favor of the client; successfully negotiated settlement, allowing the client to obtain favorable settlement terms right before trial.
- Provided legal advice to clients regarding housing related issues.
Memberships and Affiliations :
- Tau Beta Pi, Engineering Honor Society
- Eta Kappa Nu, Engineering Honor Society for Electrical and Computer Engineers
Rate : $$$