John A. Ybarra advises and represents clients in employment and labor relations, with particular emphasis on wage and hour and compensation disputes. A successful litigator in all venues, he practices in federal courts and before federal and state departments of labor and has successfully managed multi-district litigation, appearing often before the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation.
One of the nation’s most prolific and successful attorneys in the litigation of Fair Labor Standards Act collective actions and corresponding state law class actions, John has handled claims in 32 states. He has simultaneously managed as many as 18 national and state collective class actions, with simultaneous attendant or related agency investigations ongoing, and has tried cases involving:
- Alleged exemption misclassification of employees
- Allegations of unpaid overtime
- Off-the-clock, preliminary and postliminary unpaid time, and meal and rest break violations
- Allegations of unlawful tip pooling, tip sharing and tip credit practices
John also is skilled at arbitration and mediation, and he counsels management on issues related to reductions-in-force, employee discipline and termination, worker leaves of absence, employee compensation, and employment discrimination and retaliation.
Additionally, John frequently speaks and conducts training programs for all levels of management on such topics as reductions-in-force, employment liability releases, discrimination prevention, compliance, sexual and racial harassment, and wage and hour policies and practices.
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1987
- B.A., DePaul University, 1984
- Illinois Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
Professional & Community Affiliations :
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, Hispanic Lawyers Association of Illinois
- Co-Chair, Hot Topics in Law Committee, Labor and Employment Law Section, American Bar Association
Rate : $$$