Jon Biasetti was born in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, raised in Rome, Italy, and moved to Chicago in 1987. Jon represents U.S. and foreign clients on a variety of corporate, transactional and insurance regulatory matters. He is the Co-Chair of the Regulatory and Transactional Insurance Practice Group.
A substantial portion of Jon’s practice includes
- counseling clients on such matters as licensing of producers, administrators and insurers, affiliated and other holding company act transactions, investment compliance, corporate governance, withdrawal from lines of business, cut-through provisions, risk transfer, redomestication, organizing alternative risk transfer vehicles such as captive insurance companies, risk retention groups and purchasing groups;
- product development and affinity group programs;
- compliance with surplus line regulations; mergers, acquisitions and divestitures;
- joint ventures and marketing alliances; and obtaining all required regulatory approvals in connection with insurance transactions of all kinds, including with respect to changes of control, affiliate transactions and approvals of reinsurance transactions.
In addition, Jon, who has been acknowledged in The Legal 500 United States and Chambers USA for his accomplishments in the reinsurance practice, is one of the leading reinsurance lawyers in the country with significant experience structuring, negotiating, documenting and closing reinsurance transactions of various kinds and complexity.
These transactions cover the full range of life, annuity and health, and property and casualty, products and have involved indemnity and assumption reinsurance as well as modified coinsurance, funds withheld and financial reinsurance transactions.
These reinsurance transactions involve the purchase and sale of in-force blocks of business, capital management and financial reinsurance, the sharing of insurance profits and losses between joint venture partners, and reinsurance with captive insurers. Jon has also had extensive experience in policy replacement and renewal rights transactions.
Jon was instrumental in 2017 in persuading the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services to reconsider its prohibition on the use of quota share reinsurance arrangements by Medicare Advantage Organizations (MAOs) for Medicare Part C business, a prohibition which would have severely limited the ability of MAOs to manage their financial risk exposure.
As a result of Jon’s decades-long representation of several national health insurers, Jon’s practice is very much focused on the laws and regulations that govern the business and operations of health insurance companies, HMOs and other managed care organizations, both at the federal and state level, including those that are affiliated with health systems.
In addition, Jon has a significant M&A and reinsurance practice representing such health insurers. Jon and his team have also been involved as lead national insurance regulatory counsel in some of the largest health insurer acquisitions, often involving a multitude of Form A filings, Form E filings and other ancillary filings and notices.
Jon and his team have capably counseled their clients in navigating the myriad of regulatory approvals involved in such significant acquisitions and have filed, sought and obtained the many required approvals related thereto in an efficient and expedited manner.
Jon also regularly represents several national health insurers and health systems in their innovative marketing alliances and joint ventures with other health insurers and/or health systems. See BNA’s Health Law Reporter, In it Together: Emerging Joint Venture Structures for Hospitals and Insurers.
Jon was recognized in the BTI Consulting Group’s 2013 All-Star Report as among the best in the legal business at delivering excellent client service and setting high standards for the rest of the industry.
In addition to the above article published in BNA’s Health Law Reporter on health insurer and hospital joint ventures, Jon has published several articles in Italian on the regulation of insurance, the acquisition and formation of insurance companies, assumption and indemnity reinsurance transactions in the United States, and Attorney General Spitzer’s investigation of contingent commissions and finite reinsurance arrangements, for Assicurazioni, a prestigious Italian insurance journal, and an article on U.S. automobile liability laws for a publication issued by a leading Italian insurance association, Associazione Internazionale Di Diritto Delle Assicurazioni.
Representative Experience :
- National insurance regulatory counsel to CVS Health in connection with CVS Health’s proposed acquisition of Aetna Inc.
- Counsel to Humana Inc. in its insurance joint venture with Oscar Health for the sale of small employer group products.
- National insurance regulatory counsel to Aetna Inc. in connection with Aetna’s proposed acquisition of Humana Inc.
- Counsel to Humana Inc. in its Alliance with CIGNA for the sale of Medicare Advantage products.
- Counsel to Humana Inc. in its Alliance with CareSource Management Group Co. for the sale of Medicare and Medicaid products to Dual Eligibles and Medicaid beneficiaries.
Professional History :
- Partner, Locke Lord LLP
- Co-Chair, Regulatory and Transactional Insurance Practice Group
- J.D., magna cum laude, Boston College Law School, 1987
- B.A., cum laude, Boston College, 1984
Admissions : Illinois, 1987
Rate : $$$