Jon Seawright, shareholder in the Jackson office, concentrates his practice in the areas of health care and tax matters. Mr. Seawright has extensive experience in health care joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, and physician practice matters, with a particular focus on issues unique to community and non-profit hospitals and gastrointestinal, ophthalmology/retina and audiology specialties.
Mr. Seawright also has a growing practice in community development financing and structuring of tax incentives for business development and capital formation, with an emphasis on new market tax credits (NMTCs) and historic tax credits (HTCs). His practice also includes state tax controversy matters and corporate and partnership tax planning.
- New York University, LL.M. in Taxation, 2001
- University of Mississippi School of Law, J.D., 2000, cum laude
- Baylor University, B.B.A., 1997
- Mississippi, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 2002
Representative Matters :
- Served as lead counsel on closely held post-acute care company with value in excess of $70 million.
- Advised the policy department of a state department of revenue on the development and implementation of a state historic tax credit program to foster economic development.
- Served as lead transactional counsel for the acquisition of five community hospitals and the related public/private partnerships developed to preserve charity hospital operations and long-term state financing.
- Served as lead counsel on sale of closely held oil services business with value in excess of $25 million.
- Served as outside counsel for the operator of the largest U.S. network of hearing care clinics on transactional, regulatory and Medicare/Medicaid enrollment matters.
- Represented developers, tax credit investors and lenders in NMTC and HTC transactions across the Southeast region with aggregate deal values in excess of $300 million.
- Successfully represented a major manufacturer in the denial of a tax refund claim in excess of $400,000, which was based on a manufacturing tax credit.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Member – Planning Board for Tax Committee of the ABA Young Lawyers Division (2006)
- Member – American (Business Law, Taxation, Health Law and Young Lawyers Sections), Mississippi and Capital Area Bar Associations
- Member – American Health Lawyers Association
- Member – Baker Donelson Diversity Committee
- Member – Board of Directors of the Mississippi Symphony Orchestra
Rate : $$$$