Jon F. “Chip” Leyens is a shareholder in the New Orleans office of Baker Donelson where he focuses his practice on commercial real estate, including leasing, development and land use, as well as financing and general business transactions.
Mr. Leyens represents clients, including both lenders and borrowers, in connection with a wide spectrum of commercial transactions, including leasehold development and financing, securitized transactions, asset-based financing, bond loans, public-private cooperative endeavors and utility development matters.
Mr. Leyens represents office, retail and industrial landlords, as well as tenants in significant office, hotel and retail transactions. He has developed extensive contacts with city and state officials in the areas of planning, zoning, subdivision, permitting, economic development and utility matters.
Prior to joining Baker Donelson, Mr. Leyens was a partner at Steeg Law and clerked for the Honorable Judge Ginger Berrigan, United States District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana. He also worked for the United States Department of Energy and on various political campaigns in the New Orleans area.
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1993
- Amherst College, magna cum laude, B.A., 1987
- London School of Economics, 1986
- Louisiana, 1993
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana, 1996
- U.S. District Court, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana, 1997
- Texas, 2007
- Represented tenant counsel on 215,000 square foot office lease for Class A office building in New Orleans. Representation including negotiating naming rights.
- Represented tenant, negotiating amendments and renewal of 350,000 square foot office lease for corporate headquarters.
- Zoning approvals for multi-site telecom tower construction.
- Tenant representation on hospital leases as part of public-private partnership agreements.
- Served as lead counsel for acquisition of $90 million hotel.
- Represented a client in acquiring a $50 million securitized loan for shopping center.
- Leasing counsel for company stores for national franchisors.
- Counsel for site acquisition and development for national gas station and convenience store operator.
- Louisiana counsel to Nevada gaming corporation in its $2.0 billion credit facility.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- New Orleans City Business 2015 Leadership in Law class
- Leadership in Law award from New Orleans CityBusiness
- Chair – American Bar Association’s Ground Leasing Committee, Section of Real Property, Trust & Estate Law
- Member – American Bar Association’s Community Outreach Committee and Continuing Legal Education Committee
- President – Longue Vue House and Gardens Board of Directors (2012)
- Past President – Crescent City Farmers Market
- Past Board Member – Jewish Family Services and Touro Synagogue
Rate : $$$$