Jonathan E. Altman is a partner at Munger, Tolles & Olson, specializing in advising and representing media clients, law firms and businesses in connection with complex, high-stakes litigation.
Mr. Altman is an experienced trial lawyer who has led several successful arbitrations. For his work on behalf of one media company, he was a co-recipient of the Association of Media and Entertainment’s Counsel of the Year Award in 2015.
Although Mr. Altman typically defends companies, he also has substantial experience in plaintiffs’ side litigation.
- An oil company as one of three lead trial counsel in a matter seeking hundreds of millions in indemnity for environmental liabilities.
- A major New York law firm in serving as lead trial counsel in defending a malpractice claim involving a failed hedge fund investment.
- The executive committee of a well-known New York firm in advising the firm after it experienced a high-profile breakup.
- A California public utility as lead trial counsel in an arbitration:
- with a co-owner concerning a $100 million dispute over management of a power plant. The matter settled on the eve of arbitration on favorable terms for the client.
- A major aerospace manufacturer as trial counsel in a three-month, high-stakes fraud and breach of contract jury trial involving claims of well over a billion dollars.
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., magna cum laude, 1992)
- Order of the Coif; senior articles editor, Georgetown Law Journal
- Columbia University (B.A., 1981)
- Judge Arthur L. Alarcon, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 1992-1993
Bar Admissions : California
Rate : $$$