Jonathan Engel is the co-leader of the Supervision, Enforcement, and Litigation practice within Davis Wright Tremaine’s Consumer Financial Services group. He focuses his practice on consumer financial services litigation, enforcement, and counseling. As a former enforcement attorney at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) and Assistant Attorney General in Massachusetts, Jonathan has experience leading large, complex, precedent-setting litigation and enforcement proceedings involving consumer financial protection laws at both the federal and state levels.
He has investigated, litigated and settled matters related to payment processing, debt collection, mortgage origination and servicing, real estate settlement, student lending, and a massive data security breach.
Jonathan has extensive experience investigating and litigating allegations of unfair, deceptive, or abusive conduct under federal and state laws and alleged violations of the Consumer Financial Protection Act, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, and the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act. At the CFPB, Jonathan helped develop enforcement strategies related to credit cards, payments, money services, and auto lending.
Jonathan has worked on enforcement matters in collaboration with the Federal Trade Commission, the Department of Justice, the Federal Communications Commission, and multi-state groups of attorneys general. In addition to litigating in federal courts, Jonathan has tried cases and argued appeals in state courts.
His years of experience at the CFPB and at the Office of the Massachusetts Attorney General enable Jonathan to advise clients on how best to respond to federal and state government investigations, supervisory inquiries and enforcement actions; how most effectively to communicate with regulators in a manner designed to resolve issues prior to escalation; and, if necessary, how to litigate aggressively but judiciously to protect clients’ rights and shareholder value.
- Enforcement Attorney, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Washington, D.C., 2013-2017
- Assistant Attorney General, Office of the Massachusetts Attorney General, Boston, 2005-2008; 2009-2013
- Special Assistant District Attorney, Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office, Boston, 2011
- Associate, Shilepsky O’Connell Hartley LLP, Boston, 2008-2009
- J.D., Boston University School of Law, 2005
- Articles Editor, Annual Review of Banking and Financial Law
- Stone Appellate Moot Court Competition
- B.A., Government, Colby College, 2001
- Honors in Government
Rate : $$$$