A former Assistant U.S. Attorney, Department of Justice Fraud Section Trial Attorney, and Securities and Exchange Commission Senior Counsel, Jonathan R. Barr is a seasoned advocate who vigorously defends and advises public companies, corporate executives, and individuals in white collar criminal and SEC enforcement matters.
With more than 20 years of experience in government investigations, Jon is regularly retained by corporations and executive management to conduct internal investigations into whether FCPA or other violations have occurred, to provide advice during investigations, and to advise clients on remedial measures, compliance programs, and training.
Jon’s engagements include representing clients in investigations involving the FCPA, complex accounting and securities issues, market manipulation restrictions, insider trading restrictions, healthcare law issues, off-label drug marketing restrictions, the Federal Anti-Kickback Statute, the False Claims Act, Commodity Exchange Act, government contracting and procurement issues, general fraud issues, antitrust price fixing, and export control restrictions.
- Represented an entity, high-profile individuals and former government officials in the investigation conducted by U.S. Special Counsel Robert Mueller.
- Has represented clients in FCPA investigations relating to Eastern Europe, Russia, India, Southeast Asia, Brazil and China.
- Has conducted internal investigations for publicly and non-publicly traded corporations concerning issues related to export control laws, the FCPA, immigration laws and the False Claims Act.
- Has represented corporations in making voluntary disclosures to the U.S. government, including the State Department, the Department of Commerce, the DOJ and the SEC.
- Represented a large manufacturer in a criminal customs investigation concerning allegations of false statements to the government and the evasion of customs duties in which a search warrant was executed on the client’s premises.
- Represented an officer of a publicly traded corporation in a Martin Act investigation conducted by the New York Attorney General’s Office concerning insider trading issues.
- In United States v. Eric Tsao, successfully prosecuted a scientist and corporate executive of a major pharmaceutical company for insider trading and perjury.
- As a DOJ trial attorney, prosecuted securities, mail, wire, commodities and healthcare fraud violations, as well as cases involving money laundering violations.
- Edward Bennett Williams Inn of Court (Washington, D.C.)
- Order of Barristers
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 1990, Order of the Coif
- B.A., Economics and History, University of Virginia, 1987
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1991
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia, 2011
- District of Columbia
Rate : $$$