Jonathan Bender specializes in state and local tax and commercial litigation matters. In his state and local tax practice, he represents clients before administrative tribunals and courts on sales, use, income, and property tax matters.
Within the state and local tax specialty, he has extensive expertise related to the taxation of digital goods, having recently tried a leading use tax case in Colorado in this cutting edge area of the law.
In his commercial litigation practice, he advises clients in a variety of industries, including mining, real estate, oil and gas, healthcare, and financial services. He has broad experience litigating breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, negligence, fraud, fraudulent transfer, and antitrust claims, and has tried multiple cases to judgment and verdict.
He has been recognized by clients, colleagues, peers, and adversaries as a top-tier trial lawyer who can present complex concepts simply, clearly, and persuasively. In a recent trial, his client commented that he conducted one of the most effective cross examinations the client had ever seen.
Jonathan has successfully represented clients before district and appellate courts (both as plaintiff and defendant), the Colorado Board of Assessment Appeals, municipal administrative license hearings, social security disability benefit proceedings and appeals, and judicial bypass proceedings.
Jonathan maintains an active pro bono practice, having represented clients in administrative and district court litigation. Notably, he worked with a team of Holland & Hart lawyers for four years to litigate habeas corpus petitions on behalf of several Guantanamo Bay detainees in district and appellate courts, which involved obtaining a secret security clearance and working at a secured government facility.
He was recognized nationally and locally for his efforts related to these representations. He also represents minors requiring assistance in proceedings involving judicial bypass of statutory parental notification requirements.
- University of Denver College of Law, J.D., 2002
- Wesleyan University, B.A., 1994
Bar Admissions : Colorado
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
Professional and Civic Affiliations:
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section, Member
- Colorado and Denver Bar Associations, Tax and Litigation Sections, Member
- Faculty of Federal Advocates, Member
- Doyle’s Inn of Court, Member
- Legal Aid Foundation of Colorado, Member of Board of Trustees
- Wesleyan Lawyers Association, Member
Rate : $$$