Jonathan Buchan handles a broad range of business litigation, with an emphasis on media, Internet, and intellectual property issues. In his media practice, he is involved in all aspects of representation of national and North Carolina media clients, including newspapers, radio stations and television stations.
He has experience handling trade secrets, copyright and trademark litigation. He has taught seminars on mass media and communications law at Wake Forest University Law School.
In 2012, Jon led a team providing a “legal hotline” for the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press during the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte. He has been a North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission certified Superior Court Mediator since 2007.
Jon is an active member of the Charlotte community. He previously served as a board member of the North Carolina Humanities Council, currently serves on the board of the North Carolina Open Government Coalition, and was recently board chair for WFAE, Charlotte’s public radio station.
He is a past president of the Mecklenburg County Bar, and a past board member of the MCB and the Mecklenburg Bar Foundation. He also served on the North Carolina Bar Association’s Board of Governors.
He previously served as a board member of Legal Services of the Southern Piedmont, a board member of North Carolina Trust for Public Land Advisory Board, and the past president and board member of Hospice of Charlotte, Inc. (now Hospice & Palliative Care Charlotte Region).
- Duke University School of Law, JD, 1978
- Princeton University, AB, magna cum laude, 1972
Bar Admissions :
- North Carolina
- Western District of North Carolina
- Middle District of North Carolina
- Eastern District of North Carolina
- Former President, Mecklenburg County Bar, 2004-2005
- Board Member, Mecklenburg County Bar Foundation, 2010-2013
- Member, Board of Governors, North Carolina Bar Association, 2006-2008
- Chair, Mecklenburg County Bar Leadership Institute, 2007-2008
Rate : $$$