Jonathan M. Grossman advises clients on antitrust, consumer protection, and other government regulatory matters, including civil and criminal government investigations, mergers and acquisitions, counseling on antitrust, consumer protection and advertising issues, litigation, and legislative issues.
He works with clients from a variety of industries, and has extensive experience in the health care, aviation, maritime, energy, high-tech, and financial services sectors.
Jonathan represents subjects, complainants, and third parties in government investigations by, among others, the U.S. Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the Federal Communications Commission, and state attorneys general. He also represents clients in proceedings before the National Advertising Division of the Advertising Self-Regulatory Council.
Jonathan’s counseling work focuses on antitrust and consumer protection issues and includes providing advice to businesses, nonprofits, and trade associations on a wide variety of issues including, advertising claims, unfair or deceptive acts or practices, joint ventures and teaming arrangements, pricing and distribution issues, and exclusivity provisions.
He also counsels clients on compliance issues related to a number of federal and state laws, including the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Dodd-Frank Act, the Robinson-Patman Act, and the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act.
Jonathan’s antitrust work involves mergers, government investigations, litigation, and counseling. His merger practice includes representing clients before the Federal Trade Commission, the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice, and state attorneys general, and involves advising on all aspects of a transaction, including conducting competitive analyses, Hart-Scott-Rodino filings, and counseling to avoid “gun jumping.”
- Obtained antitrust clearance for Blue Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania in its acquisition by Highmark, Inc.
- Represented debt collection agency in FTC consumer protection investigation and with respect to FTC issuance of Enforcement Policy Statement.
- Represented a food service product manufacturer in a proceeding before the National Advertising Division of the Advertising Self-Regulatory Council.
- Represented Utz Quality Foods, LLC, the largest privately held snack food company in the United States, in connection with its acquisition of Alabama-based public snack food company Golden Enterprises, Inc.
- Represented a telecommunications provider in an investigation by the Federal Communications Commission related to product labeling and disclosures.
- Represented a major diversified energy company in numerous acquisitions, including a natural gas pipeline system in the central United States and a major electric generating plant in New York City.
- Represented a large property and casualty insurer in an industry-wide market practices investigation by state and federal regulators.
- Represented an international supplier of automotive parts in connection with a federal antitrust investigation. We convinced the U.S. Department of Justice to drop the investigation without any charges filed against the client.
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 2000
- Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government, M.P.P., 2000
- University of Michigan, B.A., 1992
BAR ADMISSIONS : District of Columbia; New York
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court — District of Columbia
Rate : $$$