Jonathan A. Karen, a Partner at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP practicing in the Firm’s Corporate Department, has led the Firm’s recent efforts in some of the industry’s most successful and noteworthy private equity fund formations, including:
- Silver Lake Partners V, L.P. ($15 billion; 2017)
- Blackstone’s recent flagship corporate, energy and real estate private equity funds:
- Blackstone Capital Partners VII–$18 billion (2015),
- Blackstone Energy Partners II–$4.5 billion (2015) and
- Blackstone Real Estate Partners VIII– $15.8 billion (2015).
- Stonepeak Infrastructure Fund II ($3.5 billion, 2016)
- Centerbridge Capital Partners III L.P. ($6 billion; 2014)
- Blackstone Real Estate Partners Asia L.P. ($5 billion; 2014)
- Carlyle Energy Mezzanine Opportunity Fund ($1.25 billion; 2012)
Jonathan is cited as a recommended private equity funds lawyer in The Legal 500 United States2015 and in Who’s Who Legal 2015. Jonathan has also spoken about private funds at forums such as the International Bar Association’s Private Funds Conference in London as well as the New York City Bar Association. His published work includes articles in Private Equity International and Getting the Deal Through.
Jonathan also counsels investment firms on a wide variety of matters involving private funds, including internal economic arrangements for private fund sponsors, regulatory compliance, M&A transactions and strategic investments involving private fund sponsors, as well as joint ventures, spin-outs and other corporate transactions involving private investment funds.
Jonathan received his J.D. from New York University School of Law in 2001, where he edited the Annual Survey of American Law from 1999 to 2000. He received his B.A. from Duke University, cum laude, in 1998.
- New York University School of Law, 2001 J.D.
- Annual Survey of American Law, 1999–2000
- Duke University, 1998 B.A.
- cum laude
Admissions : New York 2002
Rate : $$$