Jonathan C. Lurie focuses on U.S. and international tax and estate planning and trust administration. Jonathan is a problem solver who relies on his significant experience to develop personalized wealth management and preservation strategies tailored to achieve the individual objectives and aspirations of the clients he serves.
One such example is a $350 million estate involving a complex family situation and the formation of a charitable lead trust and family office. Jonathan has been in the service of the estate for more than 20 years and takes pride in his work with the foundation and in the fact that no property has been sold to pay taxes.
A native South African, Jonathan has practiced law in South Africa and the United States. He attended university and law school in Johannesburg, South Africa, and is admitted to practice law in the Republic of South Africa and Kingdom of Lesotho, in addition to California.
- Represented a nonresident alien family in the domestication of their large complex estate to benefit U.S. beneficiary children
- Represented a client with a large illiquid real estate portfolio by eliminating the estate tax and reducing liquidity needs
- Represented a client who wanted to create a museum for his substantial art collection
- Represented a family with a family business and created a complex, workable succession plan for the business.
- J.D. University of the Witwatersrand 1976
- Higher Diploma in Tax Law University of the Witwatersrand 1976
- B.A. University of the Witwatersrand 1974
Bar Admissions : California, Republic of South Africa, Kingdom of Lesotho
Court Admissions : U.S. Tax Court
Professional Memberships :
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Co-chair, California Society of Certified Public Accountants Estate and Trust Planning Conference
- Past chair, Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA), Estate and Gift Tax Committee of the Tax Section; past executive committee member, LACBA Trust and Probate Committee.
Rate : $$$