Jonathan Wilan is a partner in the Firm’s Washington, DC office. He has focused his practice for over 15 years on the complex intersection between legal risk and data. Jonathan has extensive experience in the areas of cybersecurity, complex litigation and investigations.
He is a frequent speaker and author on complex issues related to cybersecurity, information management and electronic discovery. He has also appeared on panels at the Sedona Conference, LegalTech, the Masters Conference on Electronic Discovery, and ILTA on issues ranging from data security to computer-assisted document review and cross-border discovery.
Jonathan regularly advises clients in the areas of cybersecurity, information governance, and electronic discovery, including providing proactive counseling, leading digitally focused investigations, and pursuing or defending related litigation matters.
- Harvard Law School (JD cum laude) (1997)
- University of Maryland (BA magna cum laude) (1994)
- District of Columbia~United States (1999)
- Virginia~United States (1997)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Sedona Conference Working Group 1, Electronic Document Production and Retention – Member
- Sedona Conference Working Group 6, International Electronic Information Management, Discovery and Disclosure – Member
- Sedona Conference Working Group 11, Data Security and Privacy Liability – Member
- District of Columbia Bar Association, E-Discovery Committee – Member
- American Bar Association – Member
Representative Legal Matters:
- Represented a leading cybersecurity company in its lawsuit alleging violations of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and Defend Trade Secrets Act of 2016.
- Advised an information technology company on its response to the Federal Trade Commission’s request related to adequacy of cybersecurity controls.
- Prepared a response to a Delaware books and records demand related to a cybersecurity incident for a leading hospitality company.
- Developed a comprehensive, proactive litigation strategy for a multinational company in the wake of a data security incident.
- Advised on the development of incident response plans and attorney client privilege in the context of investigations.
- Provided compliance training on data security best practices for a US apparel company in Hong Kong and China.
Rate : $$$