Jonathan D. Moss is a special counsel in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm’s Los Angeles office. He is also a member of the firm’s Energy, Private Equity and Hospitality Industry Teams. Mr. Moss specializes in commercial and business litigation.
His practice entails matters in state and federal court, including business disputes, class action defense, securities litigation, shareholder derivative cases, entertainment litigation, real estate disputes, insurance-related litigation and allegations of unfair business practice and fraud.
Mr. Moss is experienced in all aspects of California and federal civil procedure, including motion practice, arguing motions in court, taking and defending depositions, and preparing for trial and alternative dispute resolution proceedings.
Mr. Moss also has significant appellate experience, including briefing and arguing cases before the California Court of Appeal, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court. Mr. Moss is a committed pro bono attorney.
He regularly represents parents in adoption proceedings through Public Counsel, having handled eight separate adoption cases as well as advocacy to government authorities on behalf of the adopting parents.
Mr. Moss’ experience includes:
- Represented Amgen Inc. and its officers and directors in multiple shareholder derivative lawsuits.
- Prepared summary judgment motion that resulted in judgment in favor of client insurance company in excess of $155 million.
- Represented closely held company in the municipal finance and public procurement business in a California Corporations Code section 2000 dissolution and buy-out action.
- Represented closely held company in retail industry in California Corporations Code section 2000 dissolution action, from inception of proceeding through appraisal and buy-out.
- Obtained complete dismissal at the pleadings stage of lawsuit against Ernst & Young involving allegations of professional negligence and negligent misrepresentation.
- Prepared brief of Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) as Amicus Curiae in case before the United State Supreme Court.
- Prepared motion to dismiss consumer class action against General Electric involving SmartMeter device, which resulted in complete dismissal for lack of jurisdiction.
- J.D., University of Southern California, 2007
- B.S., Cornell University, 2004
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Ninth Circuit
- District Court for the Central and Northern Districts of California
- California State Bar, Litigation Section
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Beverly Hills Bar Association, Entertainment Law Division
- Cornell Hotel Society
- Anti-Defamation League: Board Member, Pacific Southwest Region and Glass Leadership Institute
Rate : $$$$