Jonathan Nase has extensive experience in corporate, public utility, environmental, and real estate law. He has more than 30 years of experience practicing law in both the public and private sectors.
Jonathan drafted legislation as a staff attorney for the Pennsylvania House of Representatives and then assisted in performance audits of state agencies while on the legal staff of the Legislative Budget and Finance Committee. He subsequently joined a Harrisburg-area law firm where he assisted clients in complex transactions, including mergers and acquisitions and financings.
Jonathan was part of the legal team that assisted a client in purchasing land and financing the construction of power plants at three sites in Pennsylvania. He also litigated cases, including proceedings before the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission (PUC) and the Pennsylvania Environmental Hearing Board.
Before joining Cozen O’Connor, Jonathan returned to state service and served as deputy director – legal of the PUC’s Office of Special Assistants, where he supervised attorneys drafting orders for the PUC. In that capacity, he worked on a wide variety of cases involving every regulated utility industry in Pennsylvania – water/wastewater, gas, electric, transportation, and telecommunications.
Since returning to private practice, Jonathan has worked on matters in the gas, electric, and water/wastewater industries, including rate cases, acquisitions of municipal utility systems, complaint proceedings, and a voluntary natural gas energy efficiency and conservation plan proceeding.
Jonathan earned his law degree from Duke University School of Law and his undergraduate degree from American University.
- Represented Pennsylvania-American Water Company in its $28.6 million fair market value rate base acquisition of the wastewater system of Sadsbury Township, Chester County, Pa. (PA PUC Docket No. A-2018-3002437).
- Represented Peoples Natural Gas Company LLC in its successful challenge to Duquesne Light Company’s attempt in its 2018 base rate proceeding to increase its back-up service rate for combined heat and power projects by 220 percent (PA PUC Docket No. R-2108-3000124).
- Represented Peoples Natural Gas Company LLC in its first Energy Efficiency & Conservation Plan proceeding (PA PUC Docket No. M-2017-2640306).
- Represented SUEZ Water Pennsylvania Inc. in its acquisition of the municipal water and wastewater systems of Mahoning Township, Montour County, Pa. This important strategic transaction required the team to negotiate multiple contracts and to obtain several government approvals, and the client is now poised for further regional expansion.
- Represented the Borough of Indiana in its 2018 rate case seeking PUC approval to raise sewer rates for customers outside the Borough’s boundaries. (PA PUC Docket No. R-2018-3003141).
- Represented Hidden Valley Utility Services, L.P., in its 2018 rate case seeking PUC approval to raise water and wastewater rates for the first time in more than 13 years. (PA PUC Docket Nos. R-2018-3001306 and 3001307.)
- Duke University School of Law, J.D., with honors, 1985
- American University, B.A.
BAR ADMISSIONS : Pennsylvania
Rate : $$$$