Jonathan Paikin is a civil litigator with more than 20 years of experience representing companies, nonprofit organizations, and individuals in high-stakes complex litigation matters before federal and state appellate and trial courts in numerous jurisdictions, as well as in arbitration.
He has extensive experience with class actions, commercial matters with serious financial implications, qui tam lawsuits, securities matters, cases involving Native American tribal interests, technology-related disputes and internal investigations.
Mr. Paikin also provides confidential advice to clients with public profiles on policy issues, litigation strategy, pending and newly enacted legislation and compliance with various federal regulations. In addition, Mr. Paikin has an active pro bono practice. Mr. Paikin is also the Hiring Partner for the DC office.
Mr. Paikin serves on the Board of Directors of the Washington Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs. He is a member of the New York State Bar Association and the District of Columbia Bar Association.
- Representing the leaseholders of the World Trade Center buildings in a dispute with certain airlines arising out of the events of September 11, 2001 in the Southern District of New York.
- Prosecuting a dispute over possession of the skiable terrain at Park City Mountain Resort in Utah state court.
- Representing a photo services vendor that was the victim of a cyber-attack in connection with claims brought by its corporate clients.
- Representing a Polish chemical company in a high-stakes dispute arising out of a supply contract in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Defending a major insurer in a four-week trial in San Francisco involving billions of dollars of asbestos liabilities.
- Defending a tribal lending company in putative class actions filed in the Eastern District of Virginia arising out of consumer loans.
- Obtaining dismissal of putative class actions filed against a professional organization arising out of statements made in connection with certain dues payments in federal district court in the District of Columbia.
- Defending a national college testing organization in a putative class action in federal district court in Minnesota arising out of a scanning problem on a college entrance exam.
- Representing a national student loan service provider in federal district court in Scranton, Pennsylvania, in a lawsuit brought by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau arising out of servicing and collection practices.
- Advising a national rail passenger company on all aspects of its legal strategy in connection with the on-time performance of its trains.
- JD, University of Pennsylvania Law School, 1996
- BA, Johns Hopkins University, 1993
ADMISSIONS : District of Columbia, New York.
Rate : $$$$