Jonathan D. Pressment is a member of the firm’s board of directors, the chair of the firm’s New York Litigation group, and has served as a trusted advisor and counsel to numerous Fortune 500 companies and organizations who have come to recognize that, at a relatively young age, Jon has successfully represented some of the world’s most recognized businesses, institutions and individuals in some of their most complex civil litigation matters.
Whether it be his role as
- outside counsel to the National Football League in connection with a series of class actions and intellectual property matters;
- his efforts to protect the intellectual property rights of legendary fashion designer Michael Kors;
- his defense of well-known cell phone manufacturer HTC Corporation;
- his service as special counsel to the Trustee in the SIPC liquidation of former Senator and New Jersey Governor, Jon Corzine’s, now-defunct brokerage, MF Global, Inc. (the eighth largest bankruptcy in U.S. history);
- his securing of a nearly $50 million judgment on behalf of Rabobank in a unanimous decision before New York State’s highest court, the Court of Appeals;
- his tireless representation of all five of New York City’s county bar associations in historic litigation waged against the Mayor of the City of New York with respect to indigent criminal defense services;
- or his securing of victory on behalf of one of America’s most beloved treats, Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, in litigation to save the company’s lone New York City location from closure;
- Jon has consistently garnered attention for his successful work on behalf of Haynes and Boone clients.
In fact, in January 2019, Law360 recognized Jon as a “Legal Lion” for his defense of the NFL against claims that its distribution of tickets to the Super Bowl violated New Jersey law – a case in which Jon secured a 7-0 decision in the NFL’s favor from the New Jersey Supreme Court.
And, in September 2018, Jon was recognized for his work in securing a complete dismissal of all claims brought against SuperCom Ltd. and several of its officers and directors in a federal securities law class action brought in the Southern District of New York relating to the company’s financial projections.
Jon’s value to clients is evident well before he ever sets foot into the courtroom on their behalf. The son of a solo practitioner, Jon sees even his biggest corporate clients as people and views even the largest of litigation budgets as limited. Jon recognizes that, for most clients, the costs, time commitment and consequences associated with litigation can be felt well beyond the litigation itself.
As a result, clients frequently look to Jon to formulate innovative and effective litigation strategies that are mindful of the ramifications litigation poses to other areas of their businesses including their budgets, operations, anticipated transactions, corporate initiatives, and public relations.
Once formulated, Jon has the skills to ensure that litigation strategies are successfully implemented. Having appeared as first-chair trial and appellate counsel on matters before nearly all levels of state and federal courts, Jon has extensive experience in all aspects of case commencement, discovery, motion practice and trial practice in commercial litigation matters including matters pending before the New York State Court of Appeals, the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and the United States Supreme Court.
And Jon has honed his skills across a wide array of disputes involving issues of breach of contract, intellectual property, civil liberties, securities, professional liability, entertainment law, products liability, bankruptcy and class action defense. It is these talents which led a United States District Court judge to proclaim that Jon “was among the best I have seen” in his time as a Judge.
Apart from his work on behalf of clients of the firm, Jon is well-recognized for his important role in the New York City legal community as a director on the board of the New York County Lawyers’ Association (NYCLA) – one of the nation’s oldest and largest county bar associations.
Since 2013 Jon has ably led NYCLA’s task force on indigent defense services, aiming to ensure that even the poorest of citizens are granted access to the effective assistance of counsel. In 2014, Jon was also appointed to serve as a delegate to the New York State Bar Association House of Delegates.
- J.D., Tulane University Law School, 1997, cum laude, Order of the Barristers
- A.B., American Civilization, Brown University, 1994, with honors.
ADMISSIONS : New York
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
Rate : $$$