Jonathan Segal is an attorney with a passion for digital and traditional media, who has worked on award-winning productions in film, television, and the interactive space. His practice naturally focuses on intellectual property, communications, First Amendment, and other issues that affect the companies and technologies that make what we watch, amuse and delight us, and inform all of our worldviews.
He provides counseling for feature films and for programming produced or distributed by HBO, Legendary Television, Netflix, Seeso, Funny or Die, CNBC, E!, USA Networks, AETN, ABC, Comedy Central, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Participant Media, MTV, VH1, Adult Swim, IFC, TruTV, Showtime Networks, PBS, Discovery Communications, SuperDeluxe, Crackle, and YouTube, with an emphasis on programming with intensive social-media engagement, documentaries, and content that is based on true events. He also advises print publications, including US Weekly and The Hollywood Reporter.
As a litigator, Jon has successfully defended content creators from claims of all sorts, including claims for defamation, false light, right of publicity, and copyright infringement. On behalf of media and nonprofit clients, he has also successfully sued municipal, state, and federal agencies for public records under the federal Freedom of Information Act and California Public Records Act. Jon has argued before the California Superior Court, United States District Court, and the United States Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit.
Specialties: Pre-broadcast and pre-publication counseling, fair use, copyright, defamation, idea submission, DMCA, right-of-publicity, and other media-related litigation.
- Associate, Irell & Manella LLP, Los Angeles, 2009-2011
- Judicial Clerk, Hon. Cormac J. Carney, U.S. District Court, Central District of California, Santa Ana, Calif., 2008-2009
- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law, 2008
- Executive Editor, UCLA Law Review
- Senior Articles Editor, UCLA Entertainment Law Review
- M.A., American Civilization, Brown University, 2002
- B.A., Journalism, International Relations, University of Wisconsin, 1999
Rate : $$$