Jonathan Tam is licensed to practice law in California (US) and Ontario (Canada), and focuses on global privacy, technology transactions, intellectual property and cybersecurity. Jonathan is passionate about advising clients on how to achieve their commercial objectives while managing legal risks and challenges associated with activities involving data, technology and media.
He regularly contributes to, and is on the editorial board of, b:INFORM, a digital magazine hosted by Baker McKenzie designed for privacy and technology professionals. He has completed secondments at a global payment services provider based in London, England and a world-leading tech company based in Silicon Valley.
Jonathan was awarded a Baker McKenzie International Clerkship in 2014, during which Jonathan worked for the privacy, technology and outsourcing practice group of the Firm’s Chicago office.
Jonathan advises clients, including Fortune 500 companies, public bodies and startups, on compliance with data privacy and protection laws around the world, including the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the US Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and Canadian privacy and anti-spam laws.
He has represented leading tech companies in connection with the negotiation of commercial agreements, and coordinated tech-related due diligence relating to multi-billion dollar corporate transactions.
He is well-versed in the legal considerations that apply to many of the world’s cutting-edge technologies, including AI-driven solutions, blockchain, wearables, connected cars and IoE offerings.
- University of Toronto (JD Hons) (2013)
- Harvard University (BA magna cum laude) (2010)
- California (2017)
- Ontario (2014)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- California Lawyers Association – International Law Section
- Canadian IT Law Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Harvard Club of Toronto
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) – Certified Information Privacy Professional
Representative Legal Matters:
- Represented a world-leading technology company and coordinated global due diligence in connection with the acquisition of an international security company.
- Counseled a global technology company on the privacy issues associated with gathering ambient data to hone machine learning algorithms.
- Managed a data protection impact assessment of a global technology company’s operations and coordinated the provision of data protection advice in over 20 jurisdictions.
- Audited a leading clothing retailer’s e-commerce platform for compliance with privacy, e-commerce, consumer protection, anti-spam and gift card laws.
- Developed data privacy, data protection and information governance compliance programs for numerous organizations, from mid-sized local enterprises to multinational conglomerates spanning the globe.
Rate : $$$