Jonathan Taunton focuses his practice on construction law and construction disputes. Jonathan represents US and international clients, including owners, contractors and designers. His disputes practice spans mediation, arbitration and litigation involving projects in the Middle East, Africa and Europe.
Representative projects include major international airports, highways, mass transit systems, commercial and residential developments and oil and gas facilities. Jonathan’s clients include governments, developers, manufacturers, design firms, contractors and subcontractors.
Jonathan’s dispute practice includes appearances in arbitrations under the ICC, ICE, DIAC, AAA and ad hoc arbitrations. He also represents clients in the Dubai International Financial Centre Courts and advises on disputes before courts in the United Arab Emirates, Qatar and Iraq.
In addition to his dispute-related work, Jonathan enjoys working with clients before and during projects. He routinely advises on contract negotiations, dispute prevention and as project counsel on all types of projects.
Prior to practicing law, Jonathan served as an officer in the US Marine Corps. Following his time in the Marine Corps, he was a principal in a construction firm in Atlanta where he gained extensive experience as an owner, contractor and subcontractor. Jonathan brings this depth of hands-on industry experience to every engagement.
Jonathan has contributed to numerous construction law journals, including the annual Construction Law Update (Aspen) and Construction Disputes: Practice Guide with Forms (Aspen). While in law school, he interned with the US Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Georgia and served as the executive editor of the Georgia State University Law Review.
- Georgia State University, J.D., 2010
- Boston University, M.S., 2000
- The Citadel, B.A., 1992
- DIFC, Dubai
Courts : U.S. Dist. Ct., N. Dist. of Georgia
- ICC arbitrations for owner – Representation of the owner in several disputes arising from design, construction and delay problems in the construction of a major international airport.
- Mediation for contractor – Represented the contractor in the mediation of disputes arising from design defects in the construction of a major international highway.
- DIAC arbitration for owners, contractors and designers − Representation of all types of parties in construction disputes at the Dubai International Arbitration Centre.
- Ad hoc arbitration for designer – Representation of the designer in disputes arising from a landmark infrastructure project in the United Arab Emirates.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) for Abu Dhabi developer − Representation of a developer in a third-party neutral evaluation of a multimillion dollar delay claim in the United Arab Emirates.
- Federal litigation for electrical subcontractor − Representation of an electrical subcontractor in US federal court on an acceleration claim at a US military aviation facility.
- AAA arbitration for surfacing contractor − Representation of subcontractors in bidding and payment disputes on major school projects.
Rate : $$$