Joni Armstrong Coffey has extensive experience in a full range of local government law issues, with particular legal expertise in land use law. She focuses her practice on helping clients achieve optimal results from governmental approval processes and, where appropriate, litigation.
Most recently, Joni served as the County Attorney for Broward County, Florida. Prior to her work with the Broward County Attorney’s Office, she served as assistant county attorney for Miami-Dade County and headed its Zoning, Land Use and Environment Section.
Board Certified in City, County and Local Government Law, Joni is past chair of The Florida Bar’s Board of Legal Specialization and Education, and a former chair of The Florida Bar’s City, County and Local Government Law Section.
She is currently an adjunct law professor at Florida International University Law School and St. Thomas University Law School. Her work has earned her several awards for public law service.
- J.D., University of Florida Levin College of Law, with honors, UF Florida Law Review
- B.A., Florida State University, summa cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
Bar Admissions : Florida
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- American Bar Association, State and Local Government Law Section
- Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization and Education, Past Member and Chair
- Florida Bar City, County and Local Government Section, Executive Council Member and Past Chair
- Florida Bar Environmental and Land Use Law Section
- Broward County Bar Association
- Dade County Bar Association
- Florida International University Law School, Adjunct Professor
- St. Thomas University Law School, Adjunct Professor
- University of Florida Environmental and Land Use Law Program Advisory Board, Past Member
- Legal Affairs Committee, City of Miami Financial Oversight Board, Past Chair
- Children’s Home Society, Southeast Florida Regional Board, Past Member and Chair
Professional Experience :
- Broward County Attorney, 2011-2017
- Miami-Dade County Attorney’s Office, Section Chief, Zoning, Land Use and Environmental Section
- Miami-Dade County Attorney’s Office, Section Chief, Aviation Section
- Miami-Dade County Attorney’s Office, Assistant County Attorney
- Judicial Law Clerk, Honorable Peter T. Fay, Judge, U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
Rate : $$$