Jordan T. Bergsten focuses on complex intellectual property litigation between competitors in patent law. While he is particularly experienced in the technology behind telephony, video-on-demand and video game systems, he has also worked with a wide variety of other technologies, including methods for producing athletic garments, systems for monitoring power grids, optical equipment and methods for encrypting software. Jordan also has experience litigating trademark and copyright infringement.
While Jordan has significant experience at all stages of large, multipatent competitor cases, Jordan’s specialty is distilling the complex issues in such cases into concise, persuasive briefs and digestible jury arguments. Jordan also has significant experience in the courtroom: he has successfully argued dispositive motions and claim construction issues, and cross-examined a witness in a three-week patent trial.
Jordan has conducted and defended depositions at every level (including fact and expert depositions, depositions of C-level executives at Fortune 100 companies, and personal and corporate depositions), and on a broad range of issues (including infringement, equitable, and damages issues). Jordan also has worked on several appeals in patent cases—winning both reversals and affirmances for his clients.
Before becoming an attorney, Jordan served as an Americorps VISTA volunteer with Pro Bono Net and Montana Legal Services. There, he partnered with law firms, national nonprofits and software developers in adapting new technology to provide legal information to traditionally underserved populations.
- J.D., University of California, Berkeley, 2011
- California Law Review, Supervising Editor
- B.S., summa cum laude, Truman State University, 2007
- Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
- Board Member for Determination, Incorporated (supporting entrepreneurship opportunities for ex-offenders)
- Former board member for Pages & Chapters (promoting family literacy)
- Pro bono representation in juvenile delinquency and child custody proceedings
- Clerk for The Hon. Nanette K. Laughrey, U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
Rate : $$$