José A. Isasi is a first-chair trial lawyer who has acted as lead counsel in numerous federal and state jury and bench trials in product liability and commercial disputes throughout the U.S. He also serves as lead counsel in commercial arbitration hearings.
José focuses on defending product manufacturers, particularly pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers, in product liability and commercial disputes, including multidistrict litigations and other national representations. He regularly counsels clients on strategies to minimize their litigation risk.
Like others at Jones Day, José has an active trial practice. During one 10-month period, he successfully conducted four product liability jury trials and represented pharmaceutical and medical device clients in two national and international commercial arbitration hearings. These matters included wrongful death lawsuits seeking punitive damages and commercial disputes with damages exceeding $100 million.
José has spoken extensively around the world on litigation-related topics. He is a past director and current faculty member of the ABA/ABOTA National Trial Academy. He is a member of numerous legal associations, including the Product Liability Advisory Council, the Defense Research Institute, the Georgetown Law Alumni Council, and the ABA’s Minority Trial Lawyer Committee.
He also serves on Jones Day’s firmwide Diversity, Inclusion & Advancement Committee, is chair of the Chicago Office’s Diversity Committee, and serves on the board of Duke University’s Hispanic/Latino Alumni Association.
José is actively involved in community organizations, serving on the board of directors of Legal Prep Charter Academy and Junior Achievement of Chicago’s board, and has been recognized by “Who’s Who in Hispanic Chicago.”
- Georgetown University (J.D. 1992; Editor, Georgetown Immigration Law Journal);
- Duke University (A.B. 1989)
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Seventh and Ninth Circuits, and
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern (Trial Bar) and Southern Districts of Illinois
- R.J. Reynolds wins complete defense verdict in Hochreiter wrongful death lawsuit
- R.J. Reynolds wins complete defense verdict in Damiano personal injury lawsuit
- Medical device manufacturer obtains voluntary dismissal of product liability suit surrounding allegedly defective blood glucose meter
- R.J. Reynolds wins complete defense verdict in Jones wrongful death lawsuit
- Universities defend multidistrict putative class action litigation brought by former football players
- Medical device manufacturer obtains dismissal with prejudice of product liability suit after motion to dismiss briefing
- Takeda defends product liability claims related to pharmaceutical product Actos
- Medical device manufacturer prevails in preliminary injunction dispute over breach of agreement by supplier
- Medical device manufacturer defends against allegations of breach of supply agreement
Rate : $$$