Jose C. Villarreal is a partner in the patent litigation practice at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati. He specializes in litigation and dispute resolution, strategic IP counseling and licensing, M&A due diligence, and intellectual property asset assessment. He is also experienced in all phases of litigation from pre-trial through trial in federal courts and the hearings before the International Trade Commission (ITC).
Jose has also appeared before the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, involving interpretations of first impression under the America Invents Act. In addition, he has experience leading patent disputes involving coordinated strategies in district court and the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
Jose has broad experience negotiating licensing agreements and advising on intellectual property matters related to private company investments, public offerings, mergers and acquisitions.Jose has experience with varied technologies including diagnostic devices, IEEE 802.11, CDMA, Ethernet, ESD protection circuits, semiconductor processes and packaging, DVD/CD technologies, and flash memory. In addition, he is experienced with patents involving software technologies for customer relationship management, content delivery, and business methods, among others.
Jose is involved in continuing legal education and has served on the Conference Planning Committee of the University of Texas School of Law Advanced Patent Law Institute since 2014.Prior to his legal career, Jose worked at Bell Communications Research (Bellcore) in the area of network infrastructure and telecommunications protocols.
Jose is fluent in Spanish.
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center
Cum Laude; Georgetown Immigration Law Journal; CALI Excellence Award for Evidence, Communications Law
- M.Eng., Electrical Engineering, Cornell University
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Florida
With High Honors
ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS:
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Austin Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Bar Association Section of Litigation
- International Trade Commission Trial Lawyers Association
- The Honorable Lee Yeakel Intellectual Property American Inn of Court
- State Bar of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Rate : $$$