Joseph Coco is a globally recognized attorney, having served for more than 30 years as lead lawyer on dozens of high-profile M&A transactions, private equity matters and financings for public and private companies, private equity firms and hedge funds, as well as investment banks.
Mr. Coco’s work spans a wide range of industries and matters, including corporate, securities law, corporate governance and shareholder activism defense. He has been involved in more than 150 major publicly disclosed M&A, REIT and financing transactions, including over 75 deals valued at more than $1 billion each.
He has represented several S&P 500 companies, including REITs, and is one of the world’s leading lawyers in the assisted/senior care facilities space, having advised on more than $55 billion in deals for Fortress Investment Group LLC, HCP, Inc. and Brookdale Senior Living Inc.
Mr. Coco has been active in firm management, including serving on Skadden’s Policy Committee, the firm’s governing body, and its Compensation Committee. Notable representations have included:
- Brookdale Senior Living Inc. in numerous corporate transactions, including its:
- $2.8 billion acquisition of Emeritus Corporation; and
- $1.2 billion joint venture with HCP, Inc.;
- Calpine Corporation in the unsolicited $11 billion stock offer by NRG Energy, Inc.;
- Champion International Corporation in its proposed $17 billion merger of equals agreement with UPM-Kymmene Corporation and subsequent $10 billion merger with International Paper Company;
- HCP, Inc. (an S&P 500 REIT) in numerous acquisition and corporate matters, including its $6.1 billion acquisition of the real estate assets of HCR ManorCare, Inc., named one of Institutional Investor’s “Top Ten Deals” of 2011 by, and its spin-off of Quality Care Properties Inc.;
- Aircastle Limited in various corporate matters, including:
- its initial public offering, honored as the “Most Innovative Deal of the Year” in 2006 by AirFinance Journal;
- its $1.6 billion acquisition of 38 aircraft from Guggenheim Aviation Investment Fund LP; and
- Akzo Nobel NV in its $1.3 billion sale of National Starch and Chemical Ltd. to Corn Products International, Inc.;
- Apartment Investment and Management Company Inc. (an S&P 500 REIT) in its $1.5 billion acquisition of Casden Properties, Inc.;
- J.D., Fordham University School of Law, 1981 (Member, Fordham Law Review)
- B.B.A., Finance, Iona College, 1978 (summa cum laude)
Admissions : New York
Rate : $$$$