With a comprehensive legal background in the areas of securities, business transactions, corporate governance and strategic business planning, Joseph P. Boeckman is well-equipped to advise his clients about any number of corporate and business law matters.
He serves as lead securities and compliance counsel for major corporations, and advises privately held and family-owned companies in the areas of mergers and acquisitions and capital-raising efforts.
Joe regularly advises boards of directors, particularly energy cooperatives, in corporate governance matters such as board and executive evaluations, board and management relations, strategic planning and succession planning.
In addition, Joe has extensive insurance experience, providing regulatory advice and assistance to mutual, health, for-profit and nonprofit, and property and casualty insurers; health plans; health maintenance organizations (health insuring corporations); third-party administrators; and insurance agencies.
He also offers guidance on necessary regulatory filings in connection with acquisitions and dispositions. Joe understands the particulars of his clients’ businesses and the industries in which they operate, and guides them toward solutions that best suit their individual circumstances.
Joe is an adjunct professor at The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, where he teaches business transactions.
- Served as Ohio insurance regulatory counsel to Kemper Corporation, one of the nation’s leading insurers, in connection with its $1.4 billion acquisition of Infinity Property and Casualty Corporation, a national provider of nonstandard auto insurance.
- Counsels public companies regarding ongoing disclosure and public reporting obligations under securities laws, including Regulation FD, periodic reporting, proxy statements and annual meetings, and Section 16 matters. Advises public companies regarding corporate governance matters related to the Dodd-Frank Act, the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, and the listing rules of the New York Stock Exchange and NASDAQ stock markets.
- Extensive insurance regulatory experience, including representation of mutual and stock insurance companies, healthcare organizations, managed care organizations, insurance agencies and broker agents, and other entities in transactional and regulatory matters before various state departments of insurance and other state regulatory agencies.
- Serves as outside general counsel for several energy clients, including two electric cooperatives and an integrated energy cooperative. Assists boards and management in corporate governance topics and business matters, including governance assessment, board and executive evaluations, board/management relations, fiduciary duties, strategic planning and succession planning.
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- Electric Cooperative Bar Association
- The Entrepreneurship Institute: Advisory Board, Columbus Chapter
- Salvation Army of Central Ohio: Finance Board
- First Tee Columbus: Advisory Committee
- J.D., The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, 1987, Order of the Coif
- B.B.A., University of Cincinnati, 1982
Admissions : Ohio, 1987
Rate : $$$