Throughout a bank and law firm career spanning more than two decades, Joe has created and implemented risk management programs for government-sponsored enterprises (GSEs), banks, insurers, brokers, dealers, utilities and other companies in a wide range of industries.
Joseph B. Buonanno work has involved trillions of dollars in financial assets, real estate, commodities, equipment, inventory, intangibles and other properties, and as a result of that work, he has enabled clients to avoid and mitigate losses, reduce capital requirements, allocate scarce resources, address market factors and manage crisis situations.
Joe has represented some of the world’s leading financial institutions, public companies and professional investors, and has managed trillions of dollars in domestic and cross-border debt and equity offerings, credit facilities, securitizations and structured financings, swaps, futures and forward contracts, and other transactions.
Additionally, he has counseled clients on tender offers, mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures and strategic alliances.
He helps companies in the financial, energy and industrial industries manage risks, and advises executives and directors on strategic, treasury, investment, commercial, operational and compliance activities. Joe builds consensus and promotes cooperation among diverse constituencies with different interests through his highly developed interpersonal skills, an inclusive leadership style and a unique combination of legal and business acumen.
Joe heads the firm’s derivatives group and is a member of its opinion committee.
- Liquidity Generation: Represent clients on a wide variety of fixed income transactions across various products, programs, currencies, markets, structures, maturities and investor bases, enabling clients to maintain diversified funding sources.
- Credit and Market Risk Mitigation: Assist clients with entering into swaps, options, futures, forwards and other derivative contracts in order to hedge exposure to duration, rate, currency, foreign exchange (FX), commodity, credit, equity, market value and other risks. Also, assists clients to mitigate credit and market risks through financial and other asset dispositions and troubled debt restructurings.
- Product Development: Assist clients with developing and obtaining corporate and regulatory approval for innovative new financial and treasury services in anticipation of and reaction to customer and constituent needs and marketplace changes. Strategic Transactions: Assist clients with implementing business plans and responding to prevailing business conditions by advising on and executing tender offers, open market transactions, mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures and strategic alliances.
- Operational Activity: Assist clients with reforming operational activities to mitigate and control the risks posed by processes, people, systems and events. This includes advising on ethics, policies, best practices, standards of conduct, reporting, auditing and review for identification, prevention, measurement, monitoring and verification purposes.
- Regulatory Compliance: Assist clients with preparing, submitting, prosecuting and advising on regulatory filings, as well as reviewing and commenting on legislative and regulatory initiatives. Also, advise clients on managing legal, regulatory and ethical issues; complying with contractual commitments; satisfying business partners’ guidelines; observing tax and accounting standards; and obtaining necessary licenses, consents and government authorizations. Defense and Recovery Litigation: Collaborate with our firm’s litigators and administrative lawyers on government investigations, enforcement actions and other proceedings and in asset recovery and litigation defense efforts for complex financial products, services and related transactions. Also, collaborate with bankruptcy lawyers in the insolvencies of banks, insurance companies, broker-dealers, real estate investment trusts (REITs), mortgage companies, special purpose entities and other obligors.
- JD, Cornell University, Cornell Law School, 1989
- MBA, Cornell University, Johnson Graduate School of Management, with Distinction, 1988
- BM, University of Rochester, Eastman School of Music, 1985
- PC, University of Rochester, Eastman School of Music, 1985
- District of Columbia
- New York
- North Carolina
- Member, International Swaps and Derivatives Association, Inc. (ISDA)
- Firm Member, The Loan Syndications and Trading Association, Inc. (LSTA)
- Member, Structured Finance Industry Group (SFIG)
- Member, Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association
- Member, Mortgage Bankers Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member, Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, North Carolina Bar Association
Rate : $$$$