Joseph W. Cruz focuses his practice on the preparation and prosecution of patent applications, patent infringement and invalidity analyses. Before joining Shook, Joe worked as a patent prosecutor for IBM, where he worked with inventors in more than a dozen countries worldwide.
IBM also awarded him one of only three “Top Performer” ratings for patent attorneys/agents, and Joe also received the “Manager’s Choice Award” in his department for his work and contributions. At IBM Joe drafted and filed more than 50 original patent applications and over 100 office action responses.
Joe has extensive experience in computing and medical devices. His drafting experience spans a vast array of categories, including: data and network security; database and data stream management systems; memory devices; data mining; artificial intelligence systems; cloud computing; network architecture; wireless communications; virtual machines; e-commerce; sensors; graphical user interfaces; bus structures; flexible circuits; the internet of things (IoT); and multicore processors.
During law school, Joe was a research assistant in a medical device defect project, surveying hundreds of devices recalled by the FDA. He is currently pursuing a Master’s of Science degree in computer science from the Georgia Institute of Technology.
- J.D., cum laude, University of Minnesota Law School, 2014
- Minnesota Journal of Law, Science & Technology, Staff Editor
- Intellectual Property Moot Court
- Extern for medical device manufacturer Medtronic in patent prosecution and patent landscaping
- M.S., Georgia Institute of Technology, expected 2020 (Computer Science)
- B.S., summa cum laude, Arizona State University, 2010 (Kinesiology, emphasis in Biomechanics)
- Motor Control Research Team
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- American Bar Association
- J. Reuben Clark Law Society
Rate : $$$