Joseph C. Devine practices in the area of management labor and employment law. He focuses much of his practice on advising clients in the defense of whistleblower and retaliation claims and matters involving corporate investigations.
Joe has vast experience advising clients on union-related matters, particularly with regard to issues before the National Labor Relations Board, before arbitrators and related to union organizational campaigns.
A strong advocate for his clients, Joe is adaptive and collaborative in his work. He uses the business goals and environments of his clients to develop unique solutions to the matters with which they are faced.
Joe is the Whistleblower and Compliance Practice Team Co-Leader. He is a contributing co-author to the labor law chapter for the Annual Review of Developments in Business and Corporate Litigation (2008 to 2012 editions), published by the American Bar Association’s Committee on Business and Corporate Litigation.
- Advised clients in preparation for picketing and strike activity involving both primary and common situs picketing, reserve gates and injunctive relief.
- Successfully defended a client from multiple retaliation claims made by drivers under the Surface Transportation Assistance Act through all stages of the process, from charges through trial and on appeal up to the applicable U.S. Courts of Appeal.
- Litigated unit scope issues for clients faced with union organizational campaigns to best position the clients to meet operational needs, regardless of the outcome of the representation question.
- Successfully defended complex unfair labor practice charges for clients faced with allegations of improperly shutting down a facility and relocating bargaining unit work.
- Counseled clients through employment actions related to termination, discipline, reduction in force, layoffs and plant shutdowns.
- Represents clients in discrimination cases in employment litigation involving claims under Title VII, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Americans With Disabilities Act, the Pregnancy Discrimination Act and state discrimination laws.
Memberships : Ohio State Bar Association
- J.D., The George Washington University Law School, 1991, The National Law Center
- B.A., St. John’s University, 1988, magna cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 1996
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 1996
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 1999
Rate : $$$