Joseph A. Fazioli represents corporations and individuals in high-profile matters involving sensitive white-collar litigation, complex commercial litigation, and investigations before major regulatory bodies. Mr. Fazioli has successfully tried over a dozen criminal and civil cases in federal and state courts in numerous jurisdictions.
In addition to having investigated and prosecuted federal crimes involving complex white collar, securities and corporate fraud, Mr. Fazioli also advises clients on a range of other areas, including financial services, health care, life sciences, technology, trade secrets, and administrative law.
Mr. Fazioli served as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Northern District of California from 2004 to 2016. During his tenure as a prosecutor, he tried 11 federal criminal cases to verdict (eight jury trials), including six as lead trial counsel.
Mr. Fazioli worked on numerous complex white collar fraud trials and investigations, and obtained victories as lead counsel in four separate white collar jury trials over a 27-month period. He also served as lead counsel on several federal criminal appeals, including making two Ninth Circuit oral arguments.
Prior to joining Dechert, Mr. Fazioli also worked as an associate at a top litigation boutique, where he represented corporations in a variety of civil litigation matters and took three civil cases to trial.
His professional experience also includes working as a litigation analyst at Deloitte & Touche Consulting Group, where he conducted corporate fraud investigations, assisted in high stakes civil litigation, and provided management consulting services for both corporations and individuals.
- Stanford University, A.B., Political Science, 1994, with Distinction and Honors, Junior Election to Phi Beta Kappa, Editorial Board of The Stanford Daily
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1999, Notes Editor of the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy; Research Assistant to Professors Christopher Edley, Jr. and Todd Rakoff
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
CLERKSHIPS : United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, Honorable David A. Nelson
- Representing a former chief financial officer in connection with a U.S. Department of Justice criminal investigation.
- Represented a major bank’s chief currency trader in connection with U.S. Department of Justice and UK criminal investigations into foreign exchange market.
- Taken both criminal and civil trade secrets cases to trial, including serving as the second chair of the first economic espionage/trade secrets criminal jury trial in the Northern District of California.
- Represented a Fortune 50 corporate executive in a U.S. Department of Justice/Securities and Exchange Commission Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigation into Eastern European business practices.
- United States v. Melvin Shields, et al: Obtained jury guilty verdicts after a seven-week trial against the co-founders of a securities fraud scheme involving separate business projects throughout the United States.
- Represented a South Korean corporation and subsidiary in a U.S. Department of Justice investigation.
- United States v. Thomas O’Meara: Prosecuted a Carmel real estate developer for an investment fraud scheme related to his unsuccessful attempt to complete a Jack Nicklaus designed golf course scheduled to host a PGA Tour golf event.
Rate : $$$