With significant jury and non-jury trial experience, Joseph E. (‘Ed’) Foster represents clients in both federal and state court litigation at the trial and appellate levels. Ed represents a wide range of clients, many of whom operate in the financial services, special assets, special servicing, hospitality, real estate, and automotive finance sectors.
Ranked by Chambers USA, where he is noted for his work in litigation and alternative dispute resolution, he is described as “seasoned, respected, and knowledgeable.”
Ed’s litigation and trial experience includes a host of complex commercial mortgage foreclosures, including CMBS foreclosures, many involving receiverships, and disputes involving Article 9 secured financing, replevins, letters of credit, commercial landlord-tenant disputes, and real estate transactions.
He also has extensive experience with Article 9 sales and receivership sales. A certified mediator, trial lawyer, and strategist, Ed utilizes a variety of approaches to resolve matters in the best interests of his clients, whether through negotiated settlement or trial. Clients value his early assessments of matters and subsequent strategies developed from both a business and legal perspective.
In addition to his litigation practice, Ed consults financial institutions on proposed legislation affecting their sector, with an emphasis on mortgage foreclosures, proceedings supplementary, and judgment enforcement. Ed’s clients value his early strategic assessments of a case developed through both a business and legal perspective.
Ed lectures and writes widely on matters pertaining to foreclosure, judgment collection, and receivership law. He is the author of “The Short of It,” a well-regarded e-mail blast distributed to a wide variety of special assets officers, special servicers, and in-house counsel, which discusses new Florida cases and other developments of interest.
- J.D., University of Florida Levin College of Law, 1979, with honors
- B.S., University of Central Florida, Mathematics, 1976
Bar Admissions : Florida
Court Admissions :
- All Florida State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Supreme Court
Professional Experience :
- Commercial Real Estate Finance Council (CREFC) – voting member and member of Special Servicer Forum
- Working Group 1 of The Sedona Conference, Past Member
- Florida 9th Circuit Business Court, First and second person to file a case electronically
- The Florida Bar, Business Law Committee, Member; Trial Lawyers Section, Member
- Orlando Science Center, Board of Trustees, 1993-Present; Past Chairman of the Board, 2006-2007
- Central Florida Inns of Court, Master Member
- The Florida Bar, Computer Law Committee, Inaugural Member, Past Member
- Orange County Bar Association, CLE Committee, Past Chairman, 1992-1997
Rate : $$$