Through more than two decades working with healthcare clients, Joseph “Joe” V. Geraci has come to respect their sense of purpose, passion and mission. When Joe began his legal practice as in-house counsel for a psychiatric hospital system, he dealt firsthand with the challenges of healthcare operations that his clients face daily.
While physicians, hospitals and health systems focus on healing, Joe sorts through the nuts and bolts of hospital operations to help his clients make sense of the industry’s complex regulations. He is board certified in healthcare law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and brings this in-depth background to his legal and business solutions.
Joe’s clients have come to rely on him to help resolve payment and reimbursement disputes and answer their compliance questions. He has created models to integrate physicians into larger healthcare systems and has guided hospitals and health systems through the intricacies of mergers and acquisitions.
- Assisted hospitals, health systems and physician networks through a series of mergers and acquisitions.
- Represented hospitals and physicians working through complex integration models including development of captive networks, physician hospital organizations, provider-based outpatient clinics and accountable care organizations.
- Advised clients on “provider donation” rules, Stark, Federal anti-kickback, civil monetary penalties, False Claims Act and related state laws.
- Advised providers in multiple states on performing internal compliance investigations, including self-disclosures.
- Aided hospitals and physician groups in drafting and negotiating coverage agreements, co-management agreements and medical director agreements.
- Represented startup healthcare companies in obtaining proper licenses, venture capital funding and drafting private placement memorandums.
He has served as commissioner of the Austin Mayor’s Committee for People with Disabilities, chairman of the Austin State Hospital volunteer services board and board member of Mental Health America. He also is active in his parish, St. Theresa Catholic Church in Austin.
- J.D., University of Tulsa College of Law
- B.A., University of Texas at Austin
Admissions : Texas
Professional Associations and Memberships :
- American Bar Association
- Washington Health Law Summit, Co-chair
- Programs Executive Leadership, Vice Chair
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Austin Bar Association, Health Law Section, Former Treasurer and Chair
- State Bar of Texas, Health Law Section
Rate : $$$