Joseph Barloon is the co-leader of Skadden’s Consumer Financial Services Group. For more than 20 years, Mr. Barloon has represented a wide range of financial institutions in federal and state civil, criminal and enforcement agency investigations and actions.
In addition, Mr. Barloon frequently conducts internal investigations; provides compliance advice regarding consumer financial services, internal controls and related issues; and regularly assists with due diligence for financial services transactions.
Mr. Barloon has litigated matters in federal courts throughout the country. He represents financial services companies and individual officers and directors in the context of related government enforcement and consumer civil action complaints, and has negotiated numerous complex settlement agreements for financial institution clients.
Among his notable recent representations are:
- CashCall, Inc. in ongoing litigation relating to unsecured consumer lending with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) in the District Court for the Central District of California, as well as in more than 20 state regulatory enforcement actions and consumer class actions with proceedings in several federal district courts and federal appellate courts;
- Freedom Debt Relief and Freedom Financial Network in ongoing litigation with the CFPB in the District Court for the Northern District of California and bank regulatory matters;
- Affinion Group in resolution of CFPB unfair, deceptive or abusive acts or practices claims relating to credit card products in the District of Connecticut;
- bank officers and directors in investigations and litigation commenced by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency;
- investors and financial advisors in connection with debt and equity transactions related to emerging fintech participants.
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1996 (summa cum laude)
- M.A., University of Pennsylvania, 1991
- A.B., Harvard University, 1989 (cum laude)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third, Fourth, Sixth and Seventh Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia and the Eastern District of Wisconsin
Rate : $$$$