Joseph U. Leonoro focuses his practice in labor and employment law and has significant experience preparing cases for trial. Joe has represented companies in defense of claims involving state and federal employment laws.
He works aggressively to tailor a strategy for each client’s litigation needs. Joe also counsels employers, prior to litigation, in order to resolve labor and employment disputes they encounter.
- Represented employers before the West Virginia Human Rights Commission in response to claims for age, disability, gender, race, national origin discrimination and retaliation
- Sought injunctive relief and damages for violation of non-compete and non-solicitation agreements
- Represented national companies, local businesses, non-profits, and government agencies in claims for breach of contract, deliberate intent, intentional infliction of emotional distress, malicious prosecution, false arrest, and invasion of privacy
- Drafted employee policies and procedures, employment agreements, and independent contractor agreements
- Defended employers in wage-and-hour class actions, collective actions, and single-plaintiff claims under the Fair Labor Standards Act, West Virginia Wage Payment and Collection Act, and Prevailing Wage Act
- Represented clients in the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit and the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- Represented employers in arbitration proceedings before the American Arbitration Association and other tribunals
- J.D. West Virginia University
- B.A. Transylvania University
- Member, American Inn of Courts
- Board Member, Public Defender Corporation for the 13th Judicial Circuit (Kanawha County, WV)
- Executive Article Selection Editor and Member of Executive Committee, West Virginia Law Review
- The Order of the Coif, West Virginia University College of Law (2007)
- CALI Excellence Award for highest grades in employment law, employment discrimination, business organizations, and criminal procedure
- Safety, Health & Human Resources Committee, National Mining Association
- Scholarship Review Committee, The Greater Kanawha Valley Foundation.
- Generation Charleston, Charleston Area Alliance
Rate : $$$